Housing market in Northern Virginia is doing quite well comparing to the other parts of the country:
– Homes were sold 17.65% faster with Average Days on the market went down to 42 days vs 51 days in Sept 2016.
– Number of Under Contract homes increase 22% compared to Sept 2016. This shows a stronger absorption rate.
– Inventory is only 2.81 months of supply compared to 2.9 months in Sept 2016 (Balance market has 6 months of inventory)
– Average Sales Price is 3.92% higher than Sept 2016
– Total home sold is 3.28% less than Sept 2016 (1620 compared to 1675).
In general, this local housing market appears to be sustainable. Most homes on the market at a price higher than market value tend to stay longer on the market. At the same time, homes that are not updated or are in move-in ready condition will experience longer time of the market as well as price adjustment/reduction. Well updated homes and well priced homes are still in strong demand and still receive multiple bids.